Sunday, November 16, 2008

where I was on the 'historic' evening


So my election night started off uptown. Supper was tense. We were all a tad nervous. Once the chicken had been swept away, out came the moldy old halloween candy, and on when the news. The table was a swarm of chocolate wrappers, clearly our stress was getting ahead of itself. This was going to be (so we thought) a long night. Lots of anxious channel hopping fueled by cheep sugar followed. Then I went downtown on the subway. The real actual hard results were coming through: things were looking up! Philadelphia was 'won', by the time I got to Rivington Street. The journey down was perhaps the quietest I've ever seen the subway. Even, or especially late at night it's always packed. New York had momentarily turned into a veritable ghost town.  Suspended in a terrible limbo. Well at The Building, they'd worked their way through all the prosecco, and were onto the pink champaign. Hysterical, joyous exhaustion: the results were still looking good. But we can't relax now! Oh god I was nervous this morning. I know, here pass me your glass. Let's keep looking. Wait switch the channel, this guy is garbling his stats. Oh I so want to here what Fox is trying to say about it! Let's go to a bar. Sure. Meet my wonderful friend, he's just returned from a trip back to England. So what are we drinking. I was thinking along the lines of a Long Island Ice Tea? Oh. Yes. Tall glasses all round. Good Luck ev- wait is that McCain? It is. Oh my. The concession speech. It's over. That was it! Not even 12 yet! The bar errupts. It's full of weeping 20somethings, as are all the streets, we go outside to yell lounder. Every block seems to have errupted in jubulation. Random people grinning and patting you on the back. On the subway back to the apartment, random people were simply saying "Obama oh-eight" over and over again. We weren't random people on the subway ,we were a band of communards facing a new frontier! 

No comments: