Thursday, September 25, 2008

The small town gag: screwball vs. Palin


It was a stroke of broadcasting genius to have  G.W.Bush 'bail out' speech of yesterday followed by a showing of 'The Great McGinty ' (1940). Preston Sturges screwball cum political satire is a fantastic election themed flick.  I remember watching it during my revision and it did not disappoint upon second viewing. In the opening scene, where he's a bartender in Mexico, McGinty says 'I was the governor of a state, baby'. Hannah came in with the quip 'Just like Sara Palin' which couldn't have been more spot on. Watch the scene from 'McGinty', and then read this quotation from Palin's vice-president nomination speech, because the vibe is so unwittingly similar: 

"I have had the privilege of living most of my live in a small town. I was just your average hocky mum, and signed up for the PTA because I wanted to make my kids' public education better. When I ran for city council I didn't need focus groups and voter profiles because I knew those voters, and knew their families, too. Before I became governor of the great state of Alaska, I was mayor of my hometown." 

 Sometimes, the face of a corrupt and morally bankrupt organization is an anyone who hasn't got a clear (or any real) clue as to 'what-is-going-on'. 

It's a brilliant film, and doesn't seem like an awkward first attempt, despite the fact that it was Sturges's first big motion picture. Yesterday my parcel of Max Ophuls DVDs arrived, which has only lead to my endless longing to spend the day in bed watching them. Dad Amazon Primed them over, after I'd made an unsubtle hint with a 'New Yorker' review of them, which was so nice of him. The covers are exquisite. As Ophuls was Sturges favorite director I feel the segway is far neater then I could ever have contrived. 'What to watch in Manhattan' is another must do list. 

No comments: